Soil & Water Conservation
The Patrick County Soil and Water Conservation District (Patrick SWCD) is a subdivision of the State Government and is responsible under State Law for conservation work within the boundaries of Patrick County.
The District works throughout the year to encourage soil and water conservation practices. The District:
- Administers the Virginia Agricultural Best Management Practices (BMP) Cost-Share Program. With DCR funding and oversight, Districts target more than $1 million annually to address significant agricultural water quality problems in high-priority hydrologic units.
- Administers The Virginia Agricultural Best Management Practices (BMP) Tax Credit Program
- Districts lend technical expertise for design and installation of agricultural conservation practices implemented voluntarily by Virginia farmers.
- Maintains and Provides landowners with the use and rental of the no-till drill seeder
- Sponsors students for VASWCD Youth Conservation Camp, Envirothon
The District co-sponsors various watershed projects. Since the mid-1980s, DCR has relied heavily on districts to help deliver many programs aimed at controlling and preventing nonpoint source (NPS) pollution, often on a hydrologic unit basis. 47 districts serve as local resources for residents in nearly all Virginia localities. Districts, which are political subdivisions of the state, manage conservation programs, employ staff, and deliver conservation services free of charge. With their volunteer boards and more than 150 full and part-time technical and administrative employees, districts provide a valuable delivery system for Virginia's statewide nonpoint source pollution prevention programs. The Patrick SWCD is a member of the Virginia Association of Soil and Water Conservation Districts and the National Association of Conservation Districts.
The Patrick SWCD is a member of the Virginia Association of Soil and Water Conservation Districts and the National Association of Conservation Districts.
Please feel free to contact the office to schedule a farm visit!